Jewell & Co—headed by Charcutier Neil Jewell—will host a two-day charcuterie course where you’ll literally learn the whole hog, courtesy of South Africa’s Charcuterie King. Participants will also enjoy a delicious three-course lunch at Bread & Wine, paired with Môreson Wine.
The intimate, exclusive workshops cover the making of savoury French-style sausage, cooked and air-dried hams, blood sausage and more. Attendees will have the unique opportunity to hear Neil’s stories, ask him questions, and watch him demonstrate various butchering techniques.
Jewell & Co’s artisan charcuterie is available at The Miss Molly Charcuterie Bar, through Farm Table, The Organic Emporium and various other outlets.
Date: 3 & 4 May 2018
Cost: R 5555 per person
Space is limited to just 12 participants, per course, so early bookings are essential!
To book please contact Tina Jewell on +27 21 876 4004 or via email
1. Registration and coffee 09h30
2. Lesson: Breaking down of the pig carcass by Neil
3. Tea break
4. Lesson: Neil introduces and discusses the nuances of dry curing, brining and more
5. Lunch and a tasting of award-winning wines from Môreson
6. Lesson: Neil demonstrates how to create blood sausage, mortedella and saussison sec, with appropriate tastings
7. Practical: participants create their own fresh sausages.
1. Coffee 09h30
2. Lesson: Neil introduces and discusses rilette, confit and base ingredients
3. Discussion: Opportunity to raise any questions regarding the art of charcuterie that have not yet been covered
4. Lesson: Neil demonstrates how to build an indoor smoker and experiments with mushroom, cheese, pepper or tomato. Participants go on a guided tour of Neils’ smokers, discuss wood chips, Hot vs cold smokers and more
5. Tea break
6. Practical: Tasting of meats, from the maturing room, with Neil